[Orca-users] How are you using Orca ?

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Tue Jan 17 10:23:06 PST 2006

Our Orca architecture looks something like this, and is pretty much
unchanged since first implemented in August of 2003:

    * Orca Clients
          o 1 dozen IBM servers (actually LPARs) running
            orca-aixtsm-stat.pl, writing to data files on the NFS server.
          o 1/2 dozen Sun servers (various ilk, including a pair of
            v440s sharing a multi-TB disk array of 3 dozen disks)
            running SE, writing to data files on the NFS server (one of
            the half-dozen)
          o 1/2 dozen (often fewer) Windows 2000 servers running perfmon
            writing to data files on the SMB server (one of the
            half-dozen), with periodic pushes to the actual data
            directory (this needs to be fixed).
    * Orca Server
          o 1 SunFire v210 rack-mount pizzabox running Orca in daemon
            mode, processing data files every 5 minutes.
          o Server also functions as one of three redundant license
            servers (seriously low overhead)

SunFire specs (yes, I know, some of this is non-optimal) are:

    * 1GHz CPU
    * 512 MB RAM
    * Local install of Orca
    * Data source over NFS
    * RRD destination over NFS

Until my recent upgrade to build 522, there was no trouble running in
this configuration.  Though Orca/orcallator doesn't show the v210 doing
any NFS calls (it must be!), the NFS server's operational traffic isn't
impacted by the orca-related writes from all the other servers.  A few
hundred bytes every 5 minutes is nothing compared to software builds.

However, since I installed 522, the orca daemon seems to have a memory
leak.  It got up to 160MB in a week.  Not a big deal, as I can just set
it up to restart every so often, but still, that's a new development, I
think.  That problem is not related to the architecture, but it's also
something you wouldn't see unless you run Orca in daemon mode.

--Dragon

Paul Porcelli wrote:

>Hi folks,
>We have been using Orca and the Se Toolkit on our Solaris servers for a
>few months.
>We update the Orca plots first thing in the morning with 2 one off runs
>using the -o option.
>We have one config file for the standard plots and another config file
>for workload plots.
>
>I was wondering how others are using it.
>Are any of you running it with more recent updates e.g every 30 mins or
>so ?
>If so, are your running it on a dedicated server ?
>If not, how detrimental is the effect on server performance ?
>Would it be possible to have it running in an almost real time updating
>capacity ?
>
>Thanks a lot for any info/advice.
>Paul
>Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this Email and any files transmitted
>with it. If you are not the intended recipient you should not retain, copy or use this Email
>for any purpose or disclose all or part of its contents to any person. If you have received
>this Email in error please notify the postmaster and sender immediately and delete this
>Email from your system.
>
>Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the
>official business of Scottish Water ("SW") and / or Scottish Water Solutions Ltd ("SWS")
>shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them. The contents of Emails sent and
>received by SW and SWS are monitored.
>
>WARNING: Although SW and SWS have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses or other
>malicious software are present, SW and SWS cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
>damage arising from the use of this Email or attachments however caused. The recipient
>should therefore check this Email and any attachments for the presence of viruses or other
>malicious software.
>
>Scottish Water
>www.scottishwater.co.uk
>www.scottishwatersolutions.co.uk
>postmaster at scottishwater.co.uk

	Raytheon

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax