[Orca-users] Orca dying on the vine?

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Fri Aug 21 10:00:46 PDT 2009

On 8/10/2009 5:16 PM, Hudes, Dana wrote:
> Interested yes obsessed no.
> Throw enough hardware at the problem and it goes away: 2 core PIV
> server slow? Throw 4x quad core Xeon at it.
> 4GB not enough? Try 16 GB.

Obviously not all places have money to throw.  But in any case, it's not
what I use Orca for, or at least, not exclusively.  I'm not the
obsessive type to try to squeeze out the next 1% of performance boost by
over-analyzing my data, but I will use Orca to help debug strange
problems.  It may be because we're not in an ops/service environment but
rather a development environment, and our servers are frequently
hammered in strange ways by overzealous programmers.  Being able to
point at a graph and say, "your code was opening a bazillion TCP ports"
is fantastic.  Being able to point at a graph and say, "we just need
more memory, not more CPU" is also good (though less common), because it
avoids the problem you cited of "2 core PIV server slow?  throw 4x quad
core Xeon at it" -- that solution wouldn't be helpful if the slowness is
actually caused by memory rather than CPU.  While there are ways to
determine such resource shortages without Orca, Orca makes it very easy
-- so easy that even a manager can see it. ;)

--Dragon