[Orca-dev] Couple of minor updates - make sure I'm not smokin'something

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat May 15 23:29:22 PDT 2004

Sean O'Neill wrote:

>> What also would be interesting are these statistics on a per port
>> basis.  This would be harder data to gather, unless we could get
>> per port data from orcallator.se.
>>

> Yep, already thinking about that.  Just wanted to get a comment or two
> on the logic and then apply the same to the interface code.

Sean,

Let's get the easy stuff into orcallator.se that we can now on an
interface total basis, not the per port stuff.  This would be good just
to make some progress.

Do you still need to get the Subversion access worked out?

> I think that code would be added to orcallator.se in the measure_net()
> function and an Orca specific p_netstat_class.se script would need to be
> added to lib/SE/[23].[32] directories.  I need to look at the
> p_netstat_class.se code a bit.
>
> At the interface level, it only collects packet in/out and bits in/out
> without qualifying the protocols but this would still be very useful
> data - IMHO.

Yes.

>> And also, of course, you could do this with UDP also.
>>

> Well, not really.  The mib.se code doesn't provide a lot of information
> relating to UDP.  All I saw in /opt/RICHPse/include/mib.se is for the
> following for UDP:
>
> mib struct mib2_udp_t {
>   uint  udpInDatagrams;  // # of UDP datagrams sent upstream { udp 1 }
>   uint  udpInErrors;     // # of recv'd dg's not dlvrable (other) { udp 3 }
>   uint  udpOutDatagrams; // # of dg's sent       { udp 4 }
>   int   udpEntrySize;    // { udp 5 }
> };
>
> Curious if anyone knows what udpEntrySize means ?
>
> /usr/include/inet/mib2.h shows basically the same structure for udp
> statistics - nada mucho.

So no number of bytes sent or received?  Odd.

>> Do you have the patches available for review?
>>

> Well, let me tweak based on your suggestion and add in the interface
> code then I'll submit for review.

Great.  Let's get that code into orcallator.se soon.

I'm trying to get some forward motion here without me being involved in
all the work :)