[Orca-dev] Couple of minor updates - make sure I'm not smokin'something

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Sun May 16 13:09:37 PDT 2004

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Sean O'Neill wrote:
>
>>> What also would be interesting are these statistics on a per port
>>> basis.  This would be harder data to gather, unless we could get
>>> per port data from orcallator.se.
>>>

>> Yep, already thinking about that.  Just wanted to get a comment or two
>> on the logic and then apply the same to the interface code.
>

> Sean,
>
> Let's get the easy stuff into orcallator.se that we can now on an
> interface total basis, not the per port stuff.  This would be good just
> to make some progress.

Well, take your pick.  The code has both.  The interface stuff was
easier then I thought.

> Do you still need to get the Subversion access worked out?

Trying that out now or better trying to remember :)

Glad you hit me cuz I was working on the disk (wait|run) queue resident
and service time stuff - or I should really say looking at it - and I
need to get the network stuff submitted.

For me, I would like to know what the wait and run queue statistics are.
  Currently, these stats are computed but not collected in the text
files.  I don't like how it only shows service time, appears to ignore
resident time, and doesn't collect/compute response time - or maybe it
does, I need to look at the code some more.

This of course brings up the recent RAW disk code topic which is the
code I've been modifying.

>> I think that code would be added to orcallator.se in the measure_net()
>> function and an Orca specific p_netstat_class.se script would need to
>> be added to lib/SE/[23].[32] directories.  I need to look at the
>> p_netstat_class.se code a bit.
>>
>> At the interface level, it only collects packet in/out and bits in/out
>> without qualifying the protocols but this would still be very useful
>> data - IMHO.
>

> Yes.
>

>>> And also, of course, you could do this with UDP also.
>>>

>> Well, not really.  The mib.se code doesn't provide a lot of
>> information relating to UDP.  All I saw in /opt/RICHPse/include/mib.se
>> is for the following for UDP:
>>
>> mib struct mib2_udp_t {
>>   uint  udpInDatagrams;  // # of UDP datagrams sent upstream { udp 1 }
>>   uint  udpInErrors;     // # of recv'd dg's not dlvrable (other) {
>> udp 3 }
>>   uint  udpOutDatagrams; // # of dg's sent       { udp 4 }
>>   int   udpEntrySize;    // { udp 5 }
>> };
>>
>> Curious if anyone knows what udpEntrySize means ?
>>
>> /usr/include/inet/mib2.h shows basically the same structure for udp
>> statistics - nada mucho.
>

> So no number of bytes sent or received?  Odd.

That's right - no bytes sent or received - unless its somewhere I didn't
notice.

> Great.  Let's get that code into orcallator.se soon.
>
> I'm trying to get some forward motion here without me being involved in
> all the work :)

Got the network code - remind me how you like the log file entries again.