[Orca-dev] Re: [Orca-checkins] r386 - in trunk/orca: data_gatherers/orcallator lib/SE/3.3.1

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Sep 10 09:57:45 PDT 2004

dmberezin at hotmail.com wrote:
> Author: dmberezin at hotmail.com
> Date: Fri Sep 10 08:54:27 2004
> New Revision: 386
>
> Added:
>    trunk/orca/lib/SE/3.3.1/tapeinfo.se
> Modified:
>    trunk/orca/data_gatherers/orcallator/orcallator.se
> Log:

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your first commit!

Are you on the orca-checkins mailing list?  If not, you should get on it.

A couple of comments on the commit.

Both files have Windows end of line characters, so the commit message sent to
orca-checkins on orcallator.se shows the entire file, which is not ideal for
seeing what's changed :)

http://www.orcaware.com/pipermail/orca-checkins/2004-September/000264.html

Can you revert this change in Subversion, then redo your commit but making sure
to commit the file with Unix style end-of-line endings?  The way to revert is to
do something like this:

cd to_the_top_of_the_checked_out_orca_tree
svn merge -r HEAD:PREV .
	D  lib/SE/3.3.1/tapeinfo.se
	U  data_gatherers/orcallator/orcallator.se

cat > ../msg.txt <<END
* data_gatherers/orcallator/orcallator.se
* lib/SE/3.3.1/tapeinfo.se
   Revert previous commit which had files with Windows end-of-line endings.
END
svn commit -F ../msg.txt

This merges the diffs from the current HEAD version to the PREViously committed
versions to the file in the working copy, including reverting the svn add.  So
you'll need to do the add again.

I would use the dos2unix command to convert your files over to Unix end-of-lines.

I always do a svn diff before committing to see what's changed and do a code
review of your own code.  In this case, the diff showed the entire file.

Also, I found some tabs in the spacing of the new code.  Please use spaces
instead.  I know there are tabs in the file, so maybe we change change them all
out after you make your changes.

Regarding the log message, please follow the commit logging standard as
described in README.DEVELOPERS file and wrap the lines at 80 characters.  It
would have looked something like this:

* data_gatherers/orcallator/orcallator.se:
   Naming conventions are changed from RAW_disk to KSTAT_IO.
   .
   .
   .

After you get the bugs worked out, can we copy orca/lib/SE/3.3.1/tapeinfo.se to
the other SE directories?

Finally, don't let my comments stop you from working on Orca.  Myself and the
other Orca users greatly appreciate your work!  Many of this stuff are things I
picked up from being on the Subversion committer team and had to learn there to
join the team, which has very high standards.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/