[Orca-dev] Simple question (I hope)

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu Sep 15 10:41:22 PDT 2005

First, a brief introduction:

I've been on the Orca users list for a year and a half, and have been
using Orca for a bit longer than that.  I've been blissfully submerged
in Sun-land since '89, using them professionally since '91.

I've recently aided in the development of the AIX'allator using Rajesh's
base script (which itself was cobbled together from multiple devs, as I
understand it).  I joined this list because I want to contribute more.
I have updates to the AIXallator I'd like to "subverse", and have some
Winallator fixes as well that might be worthy of inclusion.

On to the question:

This question has to do with how Orca handles data changes mid-stream.
E.g., if a new mountpoint appears, does Orca expect for a new datafile
(with a new header) to be generated, or can it handle the injection of a
new header line in the middle of the file?

I've been cleaning up and tweaking the aforementioned AIXallator a fair
amount in recent days, and this problem manifested in testing.  One of
my hosts stopped updating, and I think I narrowed it down to a new
header line appearing in the middle of a data file.  I can adjust for
this pretty easily in the code, but I want to be sure what Orca is
expecting.

Thoughts?

--Dave "Dragon" Michaels