[Orca-users] Re: Monitoring more than one host in real time

Martin Hepworth maxsec at totalise.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 08:14:45 PDT 2000

gdallair at criq.qc.ca wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ORCA really looks like a great tool. I'm presently looking for a tool
> to monitor two solaris hosts (oracle database and oracle
> web/application servers)
>
> Before I take the plunge and download and install orca, I would like
> to know if:
>
> a) Does Orca uses a LOT of CPU and I/O because it will be installed
> on one of the monitored machine (Does it itself affect the
> performance of the machine ?)

I tend to run orca once per hour (oracallator collecting stats all the
time) as it tends to have a nasty effect on disks when its running

> b) Can ORCA be installed on a single machine and monitor a remote
> machine ? If so, how (Do I have to transfer files accross machines on
> a regular basis ?) I would also like to publish the two machine
> graphs on a single web server

I use ftp (well mirror actually -
http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/mirror) to move the orcallator
generatered files to a single hosts, then run orca to generate the
graphs

> c) Can orcollator.se easily monitor the oracle web application
> server ? I'm not familliar with se. (Oracle application server has an
> xlf log)

don't know, the O/S will be done fine...

Martin

Install today:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2344/7/_/_/_/955120521/