[Orca-users] Re: FW: failure notice

D.C.Lawie duncanl at demon.net
Wed Jan 5 04:40:07 PST 2000

Hi,

this is a basic element of the way the underlying RRD tool works.  Essentially,
it is designed to give as much scale as possible to a graph.

For example, host1 is, say, an underused work station.  This means that the
average runq might be 0.010.  Now, when someone actually logs on the runq might
go up to 0.013.  This change would be insignificant if the scale of the graph
was from 0 to 10.  Therefore rrd multiplies the vertical axis.  In this case, it
will show 10m and 13m, i.e. 10 and 13 milli.

Similarly, a system transferring large amounts of data across the ethernet
interfaces might have a vertical scale showing 10M i.e. 10 Mega.

You can get any amount of info on rrd at
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/ .

If you want to balance your scales, you can set min and max values in the
orcallator.cfg file.  Have a look at the orca documentation (pod), particularly
plot_min, plot_max and rigid_min_max.

Cheers,
Duncan.

"Alexandratos, Jerry (FUSA)" wrote:

> From: "Alexandratos, Jerry (FUSA)" <JerryAlexandratos at FirstUSA.com>
>
> I'm having some problems with the way Orca is generating graphs.  Basically,
> it appears as though erroneous information is being put into the X & Y axis
> of the graphs it generates.
>
> If you look at the Yahoo!/GeoCities example off of the Orca home page you
> can see what I'm talking about (or follow)
>
> http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~blair/orca/orca-example/o_1runq,o_5runq,o_15runq
> -daily.html
>
> Let's say you compare host1 and host2, you can see that the values for the
> two machines don't seem to be measuring the same thing.  On host1, the
> load/runq is measured as "xxx.xxx m" while host2 is "x.xxx".  Also, the
> range on the Y-axis goes from "0-100" on host1, but "0-100+ m" on host2.
>
> Does anyone know why the data being generated isn't consistent across all
> the machines (I'm seeing the same problem)?  Is there a way to fix this?
> Also,what does the "m" stand for?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
>         --Jerry

> Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
>         You can even make money by referring friends.

D.C. Lawie
duncanl at demon.net
MIS - Demon Internet

"I have an asteroid named after me.  Isaac Asimov's got one
too. It's smaller and more eccentric." -- Arthur C. Clarke 1999

Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
        You can even make money by referring friends.

and reply to the confirmation email we send you.