[Orca-users] Re: ORCA/MRTG

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Thu Nov 2 08:52:50 PST 2000

I think there's a little misunderstanding on the architecture of Orca.

Orca the Perl script processes text files and generates plots from the
data in those files.  It doesn't do any socket kind of work and doesn't
support SNMP.

The most popular data gathering tool for Orca currently is
orcallator.se for Solaris which also doesn't support SNMP or set up
any sockets.  It just measures the whole system and writes the
recorded data out to a file.  I guess it could be modified to support
SNMP, but that would probably be a lot of work.

You don't need to set up a web server on every machine you want to
run Orca on, just the one that will serve as the normal web server
for the plots.  There are three different types of machines required
for Orca:

1) A data gathering machine.  Orcallator.se is run on this machine.
2) A data plotting machine.  Orca runs on this machine and has access
   to all of the data the the data gathering machines generate,
   either via NFS or by rcp'ing the data from the data gathering
   machine to the data plotting machine.
3) The web server machine.  Orca will generate a directory tree
   containing HTML and image files.  The web server that serves the
   Orca plots up to users can be a different system than either the data
   gathering and the data plotting machine.

Hope this clarifies things.