[Orca-users] Re: Error message question

Blair Zajac blair at akamai.com
Thu Nov 9 18:16:01 PST 2000

Chris,

>From your description, it sounds like you run Orca on the client since
you generate RRD files there and then copy the input orcallator.se
files and the output RRD files to the web server.  Then it sounds like
Orca is run again on the web server to generate the HTML files.  If
this is what is happening, then there are two issues with this:

1) Running Orca on two different systems is a waste of CPU.  You
   only need to run Orca on one system.
2) Your error messages may be caused by the following scenario.  Two
   facts first:
   a) RRD files can only accept data newer than the last timestamp in
      the RRD file.
   b) Orca when it starts records the last timestamp in the RRD file so
      it knows what data can be entered into the file.
   Since it sounds you are running Orca on both systems, the RRD files
   that you copy from the "client" to the web server may have a newer
   last update timestamp than the files on the web server.  When the
   RRD files get copied over to the web server while Orca is running
   there, Orca thinks the RRD file has an older last update timestamp
   and will attempt to put data into the RRD that is newer than that
   timestamp.  However, since the RRD file copied over to the web
   server has a newer timestamp, when Orca tries to enter the data, the
   RRD library will complain.

I think you should only need to copy the HTML tree generated from the
client over to the web server.  There is no need to copy the RRD and
orcallator.se data files over as well.