[Orca-users] Re:

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Nov 27 10:16:32 PST 2001

> Mirza wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a real beginner to Orca (and unix also), and I have a few short questions
> and I hope that You can help me.
>
> I am using orca 0.26 (with all deafult packages) on AIX 4.3.3. I have a perl
> script which creates log file (updated every two minutes). I have to modify
> this log file to make Orca create gifs by using this files.
>
> The log file looks like this (format: epoch_seconds    milliseconds
> min/avg/max)
> example:
> 7567348566786    25/28/32
> 7567348566543    22/24/26
>

> can You tell me, what should I do or how could make it running? Is it possible
> to tell me which commands should I run to make it working?
>
> I run ""orca -v orcallator.cfg"" to see what is going to happen, and I got the
> following:
> /usr/local/software/orca-0.26/orcallator
> root at panda[536]: orca -v orcallator.cfg
> Orca version 0.26beta1 using RRDs version 1.000131.
> /usr/local/bin/orca: warning: cannot open state file
> `/usr/local/var/orca/rrd/orcallator/orca.state' for reading: No such file or
> directory
> Creating orca.gif.
> Creating rrdtool.gif.
> Finding files and setting up data structures at Tue Nov 27 10:26:58 2001.
> /usr/local/bin/orca: warning: no files found for `find_files' for `group
> orcallator' in `orcallator.cfg'.
> /usr/local/bin/orca: no data source files found.
> root     22350  0.0  1.0 3104 3396 pts/12 A    10:26:56  0:00 perl -w # -*-
> per
> root     20332  0.0  0.0  104  164 pts/12 A    10:26:58  0:00 grep 22350
> Current running time is 0:00 minutes.
>
> Is this ok or are there some errors?
>
> Thanx a lot and I hope hearing from you
>
> Jochen
>
> p.s.: sorry because of my bad english

There's a couple of things you'll need to edit:

1) The "interval" value, because you are measuring data on a 2 minute
   interval, not a 5 minute interval that orcallator.cfg is expecting.
2) Make sure that your data file is in the correct location that Orca
   can find it.  Either edit "find_files" or move the file to where
   find_files says.  If you are going to be measuring the same types of
   data on many hosts, then you may want to keep the /(.*)/ bit so that
   data from different hosts is recognized as coming from different
   hosts.

You can ignore the cannot open state file
`/usr/local/var/orca/rrd/orcallator/orca.state' warning.

Also, I would rename your group name from orcallator to something else,
in case you ever decide to use orcallator.se for Solaris.

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire