[Orca-users] Re[2]: orca-ing data already in a database?

Rusty Carruth rcarruth at tempe.tt.slb.com
Wed Oct 3 16:26:05 PDT 2001

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
> Regarding mysql databases, there's been no work done on this as far as I am
> aware.  You may be aware that RRD files that Orca uses could be considered a
> very specialized form of a flat file database, so unless you're going to be
> doing queries in your mysql database, there may not be much point.  Also, to
> work with Orca, you'll end up having to extract the data from mysql into RRD.

Hmm.  Where do I go look to figure out how to extract into rrd?  (Assuming
I understand correctly - that doing this would do what I need.  Of course,
I'll need to figure out how to get orca not to try to find a file to load
rrd from...)

> You raise a good point regarding orcallator.  It would be useful to have the
> latest version of orcallator.se run without root permissions and gather as
> much data as it can without root permissions.  I don't know what modules or
> include files would have to be skipped to enable this, but I don't think it
> would be too hard to figure out.  You'll probably add #ifdef 0 #endif around
> pieces of code until it doesn't complain.

Hmm.  Why didn't *I* think of that?  (excuse - because this performance logging
is a side project ;-)

I assume you'd like the patches when I'm done?
(And of course it will be fixed so that it uses effective uid to
choose to do those things or not, and not a #ifdef 0! ;-)

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     rcarruth at Tempe.tt.slb.com or rcarruth at slb.com
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html
"Why would anyone choose a tool that is the primary virus vector of the known universe?" - me