[Orca-users] Re: orca-ing data already in a database?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Oct 3 16:32:08 PDT 2001

Rusty Carruth wrote:

> Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
> > Regarding mysql databases, there's been no work done on this as far as I am
> > aware.  You may be aware that RRD files that Orca uses could be considered a
> > very specialized form of a flat file database, so unless you're going to be
> > doing queries in your mysql database, there may not be much point.  Also, to
> > work with Orca, you'll end up having to extract the data from mysql into
> RRD.
>
> Hmm.  Where do I go look to figure out how to extract into rrd?  (Assuming
> I understand correctly - that doing this would do what I need.  Of course,
> I'll need to figure out how to get orca not to try to find a file to load
> rrd from...)

I would check over at the RRD mailing list and see if there's any work done
on this:

or see if there's anything else over there.

> > You raise a good point regarding orcallator.  It would be useful to have the
> > latest version of orcallator.se run without root permissions and gather as
> > much data as it can without root permissions.  I don't know what modules or
> > include files would have to be skipped to enable this, but I don't think it
> > would be too hard to figure out.  You'll probably add #ifdef 0 #endif around
> > pieces of code until it doesn't complain.
>
> Hmm.  Why didn't *I* think of that?  (excuse - because this performance
> logging
> is a side project ;-)
>
> I assume you'd like the patches when I'm done?

Of course :)

> (And of course it will be fixed so that it uses effective uid to
> choose to do those things or not, and not a #ifdef 0! ;-)

I would think you would want to patch orcallator/start_orcallator.sh.in
and either define or undef a CPP define that would be set to either
UID_IS_ROOT=

or

UID_IS_ROOT=-DUID_IS_ROOT

and then pass to se as: