[Orca-users] Re: How many orca installations

Rusty Carruth rcarruth at tempe.tt.slb.com
Tue Oct 30 06:38:00 PST 2001

duclosd at post.ch wrote:
> Hi orca users,

> sure whether you need to have orca (or orcallator) running on every machine you want to monitor,
> moment I'm using MRTG and I only need to install anything on one host.

(I'm beginning to think you mean you are only allowed to install on one host)

>  It rshs (or sshs) to all monitored hosts to gather the data.
> Can anyone confirm whether I have to install SE toolkit on every host? Please e-mail me directly.

As Simon said, you must run the data gathering engine (orcallator.se) on each machine
that you want to gather data from.  SSH or RSH should work just fine for transferring
the files across (if they allow rsh, someone needs an education in the absolute badness
of rsh protocol from security standpoint!!!).  I'd bet rsync could be used to transfer
the files also.  The main gotcha that I see is that the transfers have to be pretty
frequent.

And, yes, orcallator.se requires the SE toolkit.

If the machines you want to monitor are not sparcs, there's been talk of making
non-se-based data gatherers also.  Maybe this is an opportunity...

rc