[Orca-users] Re: How many orca installations

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Oct 30 10:22:50 PST 2001

Allen's solution is interesting for performance reasons and doesn't waste
one host that munches data continously.  The only drawback to this approach
is that it doesn't allow easy comparisons of the same type of data from
different hosts, which is always good for seeing what's wrong with one system
compared to another.  For example,

http://www.orcaware.com/orca/orca-example/o_httpop_per_s,o_http_per_p5s-daily.html

However, we could design Orca to really be two separate pieces of code, a
piece that reads text files and stores the data in RRD files, and another
piece that takes RRD files and plots them in all the ways that Orca does.
This would allow each host to create its own RRD files and plots, and only
use one host to make the plots from all of the RRD files, which should save
CPU resources considerably.

Additionally, this would let us have orcallator.se write RRD files directly,
but I'm a little reluctant to do this, since

1) RRD files loose resolution over time.
2) If you want to change the consolodation interval and other RRD parameters,
   this isn't easy.

Blair

--
Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire