[Orca-users] Re: How many orca installations

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Oct 30 10:26:57 PST 2001

duclosd at post.ch wrote:

> Hi again,
> How heavy is SE toolkit? Does it install cleanly? These are in large part
> productive
> systems where I can't risk negative effects on the application. They are also
> managed
> by a large number of people and it's difficult to ensure homogeneous setups.
> How heavy is the graph generation?

I designed orcallator.se to be as light as possible.  The cool thing about
orcallator.se and SE is that it runs as a single process and measures
everything there is to measure on the system, instead of spawning a whole
bunch of processes to measure different things.  We had it running at
Yahoo!/GeoCities where we had it running on dual CPU systems with load averages
above 2.

You can always install it and run it by hand and watch the process in top.

--
Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> - Perl & sysadmin services for hire