[Orca-users] Re: graphs not updating (although the data is) on a sol 2.8 host

orcausers lsaladi at uillinois.edu
Tue May 28 13:53:16 PDT 2002

--- In orca-users at y..., "orcausers" <lsaladi at u...> wrote:
> --- In orca-users at y..., Blair Zajac <blair at o...> wrote:

> > I would change WEB_SERVER to httpd so it can find the web server
> > process name.  WEB_SERVER does not need to be the complete path to
> > the web server program.

> files for
> orcallator
> emptied the
> >
> > So just to be clear, the only change you made was to one machine
and
> > you changed the start_orcallator script and the data stopped
showing
> > up?
> >
> > Which version of orcallator.se are you using?
> >
> > What are the format of the output files that orcallator.se is
> generating?
> > Do they contain -DDD where D is a digit 0-9?
> >
> > Blair
> >
> > --
> > Blair Zajac <blair at o...>
> > Web and OS performance plots - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/
>
> point by point -
> - I started out with WEB_SERVER=httpd - the graph is always zeros
> despite the fact that ps -aef | grep httpd always returns a minimun
of
> 10 httpd processes. But I certainly will change it back to just
httpd.
> We are using apache.
> - your ? about just to be clear - what you describe is correct.
> - 3.2.1
> - if you are asking me about the format of the name of the output
> files - here is what they are -
>   percol-2002-05-15.gz  percol-2002-05-20.gz  percol-2002-05-25.gz
> percol-2002-05-16.gz  percol-2002-05-21.gz  percol-2002-05-26.gz
> percol-2002-05-17.gz  percol-2002-05-22.gz  percol-2002-05-27
> percol-2002-05-18.gz  percol-2002-05-23.gz
> percol-2002-05-19.gz  percol-2002-05-24.gz
>
> I need to let you know that the orca data for this server resumed
> being updated friday at midnight - when it would have rolled over
> a new percol file for Saturday. that's great but doesn't help me
> understand what happened - maybe it does not like the contents of
> what it is collecting changed within the interval of one percol
file.

> I will make the change to the WEB_SERVER var and restart
orcallator.

> Thanks much for the input and on a holiday weekend no less!

The web graphs are being displayed - and the number of web servers is
correct - as this is a test system and all the virtual hosts defined
in the apache file write to their own CustomLog - I will assume there
is no data to present for the other graphs - those are being changed
to either eliminate them or TransferLog to access_log.

I have a number of other servers I have to do and am trying to
understand whether anything HAS to be done to get the web graphs
other than the addition of WEB_SERVER, WATCH_WEB and WEB_LOG to the
orcallator.se script and the yo yo of that on the server.

do i have to yo yo the orca perl engine on my "repository" server
when i add the above to any server?
do i have to wait for the midnight turnover to a new percol file for
the graphs to be updated after this change? this will determine when
i make the changes.

thanks!
miki
do i have to wait for the midnight ginitahev s hhow do i a