[Orca-users] orca data from different time zones

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Nov 7 09:02:01 PST 2002

mtb wrote:

> We have begun deploying Orca clients (SE Toolkit, procallator (for
> linux and aix) all over the globe, but we are running one Orca
> server in the US.  All the client data ends up on this one Orca server.
>
> The problem is, I'm noticed that the times appear to be local to the
> Orca server, not to the client that generated the data.  For example,
> for a data file that comes from London that has a final data line
> stamped 23:55 (uk time), when it is processed on the server here in
> the US, that 23:55 becomes 18:55.  This is obviously a big problem if
> I'm reading this correctly.
>
> Is there anyway around this?

No easy way.  You'd first have to have each machine correctly know
which timezone it's in and then send this information to the main
Orca server.  After that, you'd have to modify Orca to use this information
to use the correct timezone.

If you can split your systems up into separate Orca configuration files
by timezone, then you could run a separate Orca process for each timezone
and in the script that starts Orca, set the TZ environmental variable
for the timezone, and then the plots will show local time.

This second way would probably be the easiest to do, but you have the
disadvantage of not being able to get multiple hosts on the same Orca
instance.

BTW, how many systems do you have and what's your AIX and Linux measurement
tool?  I'm sure other people, myself included, would like to get our hands
on it.