[Orca-users] There's a hole in my data . . .

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Nov 19 13:02:01 PST 2002

Peter Hand wrote:

> Orca has been running fine on my system for about
> three weeks and yesterday I added a new vx disk.  This
> caused Orca to give me the classic message:
>
> bin/orca: number of columns in line 198 of
> /www/orca/data/dbserver1/percol-2002-11-18' does not
> match column description.
>
> The graphs show a great hole in the data between 15:50
> and 23:55 at which time the messages stopped and
> everything was fine.
>
> So the question is: How can I avoid this phenomenon in
> the future (other than adding all my new disks at
> 23:53)?

Peter,

Orca has a problem where it can't deal with files that change
the amount of data in them.  Newer versions of orcallator.se and
orcallator.cfg work around this problem by creating new output
orcallator files every time the number of measurements on the system
changes.

You can get these files either in the latest Orca 0.27 release

    http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/orca-0.27.tar.gz

or individually

    http://svn.orcaware.com:8000/repos/trunk/orca/orcallator/orcallator.se
    http://svn.orcaware.com:8000/repos/trunk/orca/orcallator/orcallator.cfg.in