[Orca-users] space concerns, gzip, bzip2 or nothing

Bruce Shaw Bruce.Shaw at gov.ab.ca
Thu Jan 9 09:27:39 PST 2003

I've been using ORCA for about a month and my
/usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/machinename directory is rapidly filling with
files, threatening the sanctity of my /usr filespace.  I'm using
orcallator.se on a variety of machines and am confused on how it decided how
to compress files.  None of these machines have a COMPRESSOR environmental
variable.

One machine uses bzip2, most use gzip, but several don't compress at all.
I'd like to be consistent.  What is the logic behind this?  Short of
setenv-ing COMPRESSOR, is there a way of hard-coding it?

I'm rdist-ing my data files to a central location and intend to remove any
.gz/bz files on the clients, but would also like to reduce the load on the
central server.  When is ORCA "finished with" a .gz file so I can archive
it?

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal and or privileged
recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action
relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply,
should be deleted or destroyed.