[Orca-users] space concerns, gzip, bzip2 or nothing

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Jan 9 09:32:54 PST 2003

Bruce Shaw wrote:

> I've been using ORCA for about a month and my
> /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/machinename directory is rapidly filling with
> files, threatening the sanctity of my /usr filespace.  I'm using
> orcallator.se on a variety of machines and am confused on how it decided how
> to compress files.  None of these machines have a COMPRESSOR environmental
> variable.

Are you running configure on each host separately, or do you
run configure once and then ship the start_orcallator to each
system?

If you do the first, then each host will pick its own compression
scheme.  If you do the second, then you'll have a consistent
compression scheme, but if the client doesn't have the compression
program, then the file won't be compressed.

> One machine uses bzip2, most use gzip, but several don't compress at all.
> I'd like to be consistent.  What is the logic behind this?  Short of
> setenv-ing COMPRESSOR, is there a way of hard-coding it?

Use one start_orcallator that is configred the way you want it and
use it on all your clients.

> I'm rdist-ing my data files to a central location and intend to remove any
> .gz/bz files on the clients, but would also like to reduce the load on the
> central server.  When is ORCA "finished with" a .gz file so I can archive
> it?

See question 3.16 in

http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/FAQ.html

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/