[Orca-users] Having Fits compiling orca-0.27b3

rhfreeman at micron.com rhfreeman at micron.com
Wed Jul 30 00:25:58 PDT 2003

> > > Thanks for your fast response, Blair. I actually have the
> sunfreeware
> > > versions of gcc, make, and perl installed on this system.
> When I run:
> > >
> > > % /usr/local/bin/perl -MConfig -wle 'print $Config{cc}'
> > >
> > > I get:
> > >
> > > % gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/
> > >
> > > Gcc reports the -B as an unknow operator. Do you have any
> other ideas as
> > > what's going on?
> > >
> > > Thanks again.
> > >
> > > - Ed Janowiak
> >
> > [Ed, please reply below peoples replies to you.  It makes following
> > messages easier for people and for the mailing list
> archive.  Thanks]
> >
> > Which version of gcc, perl and make do you have on your system?  Can
> > you run gcc -v and send that output along?
> >
> > Best,
> > Blair
> >
> > --
> > Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>
> > Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/
> >
> > Can do. The versions of each are:
> >
> > gcc: 3.3
> > perl: 5.8.0
> > make: 3.80
>
> That's odd that gcc is showing this error.  Are you certain that gcc
> is really gcc, maybe it's a symlink to another compiler?  As far back
> as I can remember (10 years or so) gcc has supported -B.
>
> What does gcc -v show?
>
> Are you installing this stuff as root?  Maybe root is finding another
> gcc than your non-root ID?

I had the same problem as this as well. My fix was found by using this
page:

http://mailman.packetpushers.com/pipermail/larrd/2002-August/001224.html

I simply set PROBLEMCC="" as it mentions.

With just this change, everything then compiled just fine. That was
using the perl 5.8.0 Sunfreeware distro. On a self-built 5.6.0 install,
I did not have this problem.

Cheers,

Rich