[Orca-users] Really basic question RE: nfs mounting

Cameron Paine cbp at null.net
Tue Nov 18 13:12:38 PST 2003

Steve,

I've got 26 NFS automounts for my clients. Here's how I
do it (YMMV).

On the client side, I have orcallator.se data accumulating
in the path:

/var/orca/orcallator/client-hostname

I export (err, sorry: share) this read-only explicitly
to my Orca processor.

On the processor system, which is running orcallator.se too,
I also have a /var/orca/orcallator directory. It contains one
real subdirectory and symlinks into /net. Assuming the above
client directory, the processor directory looks like:

/var/orca/orcallator/client-hostname ->
  /net/client-hostname/var/orca/client-hostname
/var/orca/orcallator/processor-hostname

I did it this way so I could expose/hide client source data
without having to tinker with /etc/vfstab. This way a non-root
user can make/break the symlinks (assuming they have write
permission to /var/orca/orcallator.

Cameron