[Orca-users] Help a newbie out

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sat Apr 3 15:34:33 PST 2004

> "Brian F." wrote:
>
> I've only just downloaded and gotten everything installed on a Solaris8 (SPARC) server.
> I was attracted to Orca after seeing the wide array of information graphed on sites around the net.
> I'm just not getting how to create a config file to graph the one thing i'm looking to graph.
> What i have is daily logs from mail servers in the following format.
>
> MSGLOADHR        00         23004
> MSGLOADHR        01         50364
> MSGLOADHR        02         45444
> MSGLOADHR        03         48593
> MSGLOADHR        04         50701
> MSGLOADHR        05         43412
> MSGLOADHR        06         46165
> MSGLOADHR        07         45057
> MSGLOADHR        08         37828
> MSGLOADHR        09         48084
> MSGLOADHR        10         56722
> MSGLOADHR        11         64746
> MSGLOADHR        12         65716
> MSGLOADHR        13         56757
> MSGLOADHR        14         64573
> MSGLOADHR        15         60849
> MSGLOADHR        16         64900
> MSGLOADHR        17         65575
> MSGLOADHR        18         70603
> MSGLOADHR        19         69434
> MSGLOADHR        20         59328
> MSGLOADHR        21         63066
> MSGLOADHR        22         55981
> MSGLOADHR        23         54380
>
> That's the amount of messages processed per hour per 24 hours.
> How do you go about getting orca to parse the log files everyday for
> the above data, and plot this into a graph for my webserver to display?
> Does someone have a sample config that does roughly the same thing?

I don't have a config file that does this, but you'll need to the Unix
timestamp in seconds since 1970 as one of the columns in there and use
that.

Do you generate this file all at once for a day or does it get
appended to for each measurement?  If the later, then you can do
something like

group GROUP_NAME1 {
         find_files            filename1 filename2 ...
         column_description    column1_name column2_name ...
         date_source           file_mtime
         interval              3600
         .
         .
         .
         }

where the file_mtime is the important part.

You'll also want to make your measurements at the top of the
hour otherwise RRDtool will interpolate your data to fit at
the top of every hour.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/