[Orca-users] Max number of systems logged

Richard.Grevis at ubs.com Richard.Grevis at ubs.com
Thu Apr 8 02:37:39 PDT 2004

The processing load of orca gets quite heavy as you increase the number of hosts. We graph aboout 100 at 2 sites, and as others will tell you, all will be fine but you will burn a CPU in the process. Does not matter on a dedicated host I guess.

You run into a consideration just as important however, and that is there are too many host graphs to look at in one go. If you are an ASP where all hosts are of similar kind and with equal importance this may not matter. But we have production and testing hosts, and DMZ and greez zone hosts.

So what I did was to provide some wrapper scripts at a layer above and in essense have multiple orca's running - 1 for production green zone, 1 for testing, etc. But then.... 4+ running orca's, all synced to to start their updates at the same time, DO load a host more than I want.

And as others will tell you, Orca interval interacts with the interval defined in the SE toolkit config file for Orca, and also the intervals are defined at initial RRD database creation time (so you can't remove the htmls, fiddle with interval, rerun, then get the right pics. You have to remove the RRD databases, and even then...)

But it may be OK to change SE and Orca both, then start all from scratch. Blair may have to confirm.

kind regards,
Richard