[Orca-users] Problems with orca-aix-stat.pl on AIX 5.1 ML7

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu Dec 23 14:32:05 PST 2004

I would recommend using the orca-aixtsm-stat.pl script, even if you're
not using tsm.  I've attached my (working) copy here.  We're running
oslevel 5.1.0.0 on that machine.  Not sure what ML we're up to though.
My guess is 5.

As for the perl -- there are only three places where the netstat command
is invoked, and you can find them by doing this:

grep netstat orca-aixtsm-stat.pl | grep open

I get:

dmichael at npdsa01 <~/orca/my AIX orca stuff><27> grep netstat
orca-aixtsm-stat.pl | grep open
open IN, "netstat -ni|";
        open IN, "netstat -n -I $interface 1 |";
    open IN, "netstat -an |";

The first command there lists the interfaces on the machine.  The second
one goes through each interface, and gets current error counters (the
'1' means "just run once").  And the last one shows all the TCP info
about the machine, using the 'n' flag to say "don't translate the IPs to
names" (that slams DNS/NIS, and you really don't need the hostnames, you
just need the stats really).

None of these commands hang up or result in spiked CPU usage when I run
it on the AIX server mentioned above.  If your netstat is spiking your
CPU, then either (a) your collection interval is way too small, or (b)
your script is different than mine, and it's trying to do something it
probably shouldn't.  In either case, your "ps -ef | grep netstat" can
find the offending netstat command, and the arguments it was given, and
that should help you find out where in the script that netstat is being
run.  Then it can be tweaked/fixed to make it not do that anymore. ;)

I've attached my copy of the orca-aixtsm-stat.pl script, which I think
was submitted to the devtree around r380, but I could be mistaken.

--Dragon

daniel.engelsen at caremark.com wrote:

>We recently updated several of our servers ML7 of AIX 5.1, and we are now
>having problems with the orca-aix-stat.pl script.  The netstat command
>keeps going to the top of the process table in terms of amount of CPU
>consumed.  It is taking up to 50% of the CPU.  We were not having these
>problems with prior versions of maintenance on the servers.  So, I called
>IBM and they are saying that it is a problem with the script.  I do not
>work much with Perl.  So, I was hoping that someone else has run into this
>problem and has already found a fix or work around.
>
>Here is the version of the script that I am running.
>
>(See attached file: orca-aix-stat.pl)
>
>Thanks,
>Dan

	Raytheon

	*David P. Michaels*
Senior Multi-Disciplined Engineer II W.H.
NPOESS IS
Platform OS Unix
303.344.6840
720.858.5952 fax