[Orca-users] Help: Command failed for target "MD5.o"

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Dec 30 13:47:18 PST 2004

sreenath sarikonda wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>               I am new user of Orca and I was getting
> this error while installing. I have installed gcc
> and tried these options
> env CC=gcc ./configure
> env CC=gcc make
> but it always fails in step 2(make) with the error
> t/lang..............ok
> All tests successful.
> Files=4,  Tests=405,  1 wallclock secs ( 1.31 cusr +
> 0.11 csys =  1.42 CPU)
> cd Digest-MD5-2.20 && make OPTIMIZE="-g -O2" test
> cc -c   -g -O2     -DVERSION=\"2.20\"
> -DXS_VERSION=\"2.20\" -KPIC
> -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
> -DU32_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED MD5.c
> sh: cc: not found
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `MD5.o'
> Current working directory
> /test/orca-0.27/packages/Digest-MD5-2.20
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `test_digest_md5'
> Current working directory /test/orca-0.27/packages
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `test_modules'.
>
> I am planning to install orcaware on 8 machines
> atleast so Installing Perl modules which are compiled
> with gcc would be a arduos option. Any help is
> appreciated. gcc is installed in /opt/sfw/bin and here
> is the path.
> /opt/sfw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
>
> Sree

Sree,

It looks like you're using the version of Perl that came with Solaris
which is at version 5.005_03.  I really recommend using a newer version
of Solaris.  A good one to use is the one from ActiveState which is at
5.8.6.

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

You could also try the Perl from Sunfreeware.com:

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

but they have Perl 5.8.5.

Install one of these and it probably comes with Digest::MD5 so you can
skip compiling some, but not all, Perl modules.

Also, these versions of Perl was probably compiled with gcc so it'll
work better with the gcc on your system.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/