[Orca-users] Newbie questions

Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG Dale.Schmitz at offutt.af.mil
Wed Mar 17 13:05:39 PST 2004

I'm reading over the installation docs and such, getting ready to attempt an
installation of Orcallator (or is Orca more correct?) and I have a few
questions.  I'm not terrible familiar with compiling thins on Solaris, but
I've managed to successfully compile an initial installation of the Orca and
wonder about some of the results I'm seeing.

Is it necessary to be redundant on the rrd and orcallator directories?
Configuring with the "-with-rrd-dir=" and "-with-orcallator-dir=" options
(as specified in a help file I got from somewhere) leaves me with an orca
directory structure along the lines of (home path)/rrd/rrd and
.../orcallator/orcallator.  For instance, I specified
"-with-rrd-dir=/var2/orca/rrd/rrd/orcallator" when perhaps I should have
specified /var2/orca, maybe?  The idea, now that I see what was produced,
was to have /var2/orca as a "home" directory, with everything orca-relatd
under that.

Are there files to move to /etc/rc3.d?  I see there are some orcallator
scripts, like S99orcallator and some other things for /etc/init.d, in a
subdirectory.  Which of these need to be put where?

I'm under the impression, and I don't remember where I got it, that Orca
uses Solaris' SAR function.  How does it invoke it and where does it store
the raw data, or where does it store the massaged data it uses to generate
graphs?

Thanks in advance,

Dale