[Orca-users] cpu useage

Sean O'Neill sean at seanoneill.info
Thu May 6 11:17:39 PDT 2004

Shea Martin wrote:
> I have orca collecting/processing data for over 100 nodes, soon to add
> another 32.  It is eating up as much CPU as it can get on 900MHz SPARC
> III Cu (usually 100%).  It has been running that way now for 2.5 weeks.
> Is this to be expected?  Do you guys generally designate a specific
> network node to just run orca?

Some folks even break the servers up into groups and have several
machines doing Orca because of the CPU utilization.

> What happens if I stop the orca script for a few weeks.  Then run it for
> a week?  Will there be holes in the data, will the orca script try to
> start where it left off, and catch up?

Assuming the orcallator.se script is still running on the clients
collecting data, the orca.pl script will catch up.  It will take a while
though considering the number of the machine you have above but it will
eventually catch up.  There shouldn't be any holes in the graphs as long
as your the orcallator.se text data doesn't holes.

BTW, this reminds me of something I've been thinking about recently.
One thing the bugs me about Orca is that it is SSSSOOOOO CPU intensive.
  Really not Orca doing this, its really RRD.

Blair, how hard would it be to put the orca.pl script on each client but
  change the code so that it doesn't generate the graphs ... it only
updates the RRDs ?  Then you could play a game with resource manager
giving the orca.pl script a specific number of CPU shares so that it
doesn't overrun the server when something else is going on.  When the
box is basically idle, orca.pl gets all the shares.

Then use ssh/rsync to push  both the orcallator.se text data (for safe
keeping if you wanted to that is) and the RRDs.  The Orca server then
reads the RRDs and does nothing but updates the graphs and HTML ?

Sean