[Orca-users] Segmentation Fault

orca at bias.org orca at bias.org
Fri Nov 4 08:22:51 PST 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Cockcroft, Adrian wrote:

> 3)  the problem below seems to be that its reading a directory and
> getting a bad directory entry that is crashing it when it dereferences
> the pointer. This is not the same as the common problem of running out
> of disk slots. You san see that the current index is 30, and the size is
> 540 in the debug output below.

Found a workaround for Segmentation Fault(coredump) when trying to start
orcallator on system where I have removed luns previously there.  Doing a
reconfiguration reboot did not resolve this issues.

The issue appears to be with SE when doing:

   setup_diskinfo_inst()
   in /opt/RICHPse/include/diskinfo.se

I can test that the issue exist by running:

   # /opt/RICHPse/bin/se disks.se

The diskinfo.se creates a listing of diskinfo by searching /dev/dsk.  I
checking this directory for invalid entires and I could not find any.

I copied all the links in /dev/dsk to /dev2/dsk and made the following
change in /opt/RICHPse/include/diskinfo.se:

   string disk_dirs[3] = { "/dev2/dsk", "/dev/osa/dev/dsk", nil };A

One by one, I tested every link (~1800) individually, running se, and then
moving it out.  All links works fine.  I received no Segmentation Faults
during this test.

I then testing moving them in, running se, and NOT moving them out.

When I get to about 250 directory entries, it starts to Segmentation
Fault.  I changed which 250 exist by manually selecting the order and
received the same result.

I don't need stats on all these disk so I just picked the one that are
most critical and never change to be in the directory /dev2/dsk and am now
able to start orcallator.

If this helps identify a more global solution, please let me know.

Regards,
Liston