[Orca-users] working with mixed-column data sources...

Steven McPhillips smcphillips at nla.gov.au
Sun Feb 5 15:37:53 PST 2006

I've got what I suppose could be called a normalised file format -
instead of having every log entry stored on the same line (as with
the orcallator source), my log entries have a recType column, for
instance. This column defines what type of data is being stored for
that record - could be JVM memory allocation, website user sessions,
current active threads etc. All up, my logfile has about 3 of these
"type" columns, along with a timestamp and "value" column.

How easy / difficult would it be to use Orca to plot my data? After
looking at the orca man page, I get the feeling it might be quite
difficult, although perhaps do-able using some judicious regexps for
the plot data entries. If someone on the list can give a simple yes/
no answer that would be great - I don't mind having to refactor the
log format via a pipe for orca to read in if I have to, but naturally
I would like to be neater if there is a better way!

thanks in advance for any assistance,

Steve

-----
Steven McPhillips