[Orca-users] working with mixed-column data sources...

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Tue Feb 7 14:26:44 PST 2006

Attila Mezei-Horvati wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I like the article and plan on
> checking the others, too.
>
> My problem however is a little different. I am trying
> to monitor the performance of a web application on the
> server. It is called only from time to time, so I do
> have complete metrics (timestamp, startup time,
> communication with the network, operations, total
> duration) but I don't have it layed out based on a
> specific interval. Sometimes I have an entry at 5
> seconds, sometimes I have it after two three hours. I
> can set the interval to 5 seconds but then what should
> I use for the non-existing timestamps? I cannot put 0
> since that would alter my statistics, make it look
> like everything was alright (bringing down the total
> avg, too).

It depends on what you're measuring.  Something like "cumulative number
of system errors" is an example of a measure that only updates
sporatically.  In that case, every 5 minutes you'd just record the
current number of system errors.

In other cases, like website bandwidth, if your website receives very
little traffic, you may have zero bandwidth for 3 hours, then 2 minutes
of high bandwidth as someone visits your site, then 3 hours of no
bandwidth.  Your "avg" statistics would probably have far less value to
you than "burst" statistics.  On my webserver, the Orca graphs for such
circumstances consist of nothing but thin-line spikes.  The latest rev
of Orca implements RRD in a way that better maintains these mini-spikes;
though they get flattened from averaging as the graph's period increases
(daily -> weekly -> yearly), the relative representation is still
useful.  As an example, I have a web serer that typically only gets a
few hits in any 5 minute period, with most 5 minute periods having zero
hits.  But even on the yearly graph, I can see this activity represented
(as 200m instead of 2-3 hits, but I can still compare one month's
activity to the next).

In the case of your web application, if you're trying to monitor its
activity, you'll still see something show up on the Orca graphs, even if
most of your timestamps have "0" in the column for that data.  If you're
trying to gather statistics on it, that's another story--couldn't your
statistical analysis simply ignore zero-value entries, and thus report
only on "running periods" or such?  Or else, if Orca wasn't part of the
equation at all, how would you normally account for the periods of
inactivity?

--Dragon