[Orca-users] Multiple disk space percentage graphs

Tonij T. tonij67 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 14:32:24 PST 2006

More updates...

>You may be interested in drraw then, which is basically a web front-end to
>your rrdtool command:
>http://web.taranis.org/drraw/

I like this tool; combined with the tutorials on the RRDtool site this is a
great way to pull the information out of Orca that I am looking for.

>But it sounds like if you can get Orca to at least present you the
>filesystems in a format you're most often going to need, then you'd rarely
>need to go out of your way to generate specific files for review.  This
>should be a simple matter of modifying the corresponding plot {}
>entry(ies), and stopping/restarting Orca.

This would be my first preference;

Something else wierd is going on here...in using the above mentioned drraw,
I noticed that there are a lot of rrd files that reference file systems that
no longer exist.  In fact, doing a df -k | wc -l on one system and comparing
to how many rrd files Orca is using, there is a huge discrepancy (sometimes
the amount of Orca RRD files are 3 or 4 times as many, and they reference
file systems that have been gone for months but they are still updating).
It appears that Orca doesnt like it when file systems "dissapear".  These
systems are pretty dynamic and new filesystems are added and removed pretty
often;  I wonder if this is contributing to the multiple disk space percent
graphs I am getting?

>As you mention below, you're using 0.27.  While this was a good release at
>the time, there have been many improvements made since.  r525 is the latest
>'r'elease, and in it you'll find references to 0.28.  0.28 and beyond were
>evidently not considered good enough to be stable releases, but it's my
>experience that they're superior to 0.27 in every conceivable way.

Ah, I see.  I think I need to investigate 525, if for no other reason than
the multiple graph bug.  I have it downloaded but I am nervous about
trashing my existng install of 027.

>I believe Orca is instructing RRD to compute the averages and other stats
>as it generates the files.  I'm not sure of the exact commands Orca passes
>to RRD, either, but the drraw tool mentioned above, which uses RRD files
>only, is able to generate this information.  So I conclude that RRD must be
>capable of doing that part independent of Orca.

Indeed it can!  Orca is doing a lot of behind the scenes magic  that I have
not yet figured out.  :)

>>Oh and another question:  I am using Orca version 027.  I dont see a later
>>version anywhere but I did find something called "orca-snapshot-r525".  Is
>>that an update?  Its all rather confusing to me, I would expect a newer
>>version to be 028 or 030 or something...

I am pretty sold on at least trying 525, but a couple things concern me:

- if I install it to a new location, I lose all of the data I have already
collected.  Unless I point to the existing RRD files, in which case I would
either have to figure out which ones to get rid of (based on the above
mentioned lack of house cleaning) or, is 525 better at handleing metrics
that are no longer in existance? i.e. if I remove a file system, will  525
know that it is no longer there and stop trying to collect information on
it?

- if I install it over the top of 027 I have no backout plan, short of
restoring from a backup  if things go south.

Looks like I have some thinking to do...

Thank you so much for all of your help !

T.