[Orca-users] Multiple disk space percentage graphs

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Thu Feb 9 15:46:16 PST 2006

ZiZo -- try removing yourself from the list by going here:
(this link is at the bottom of every orca-users email, including the
shouting one you just sent ;))

Tonij, I guess you missed one of my emails on the private thread --

> I am pretty sold on at least trying 525, but a couple things concern me:
>
> - if I install it to a new location, I lose all of the data I have
> already collected.  Unless I point to the existing RRD files, in which
> case I would either have to figure out which ones to get rid of (based
> on the above mentioned lack of house cleaning) or, is 525 better at
> handleing metrics that are no longer in existance? i.e. if I remove a
> file system, will  525 know that it is no longer there and stop trying
> to collect information on it?

I'll repeat the answer here:

I would keep your 0.27 around, and put r525 in a different place
(perhaps on a different machine, even, if you can manage that).  That'll
give you a chance to play around with it and verify that it does work
better for you.  Migrating your data is a simple matter of moving (or
coyping) your orcallator data files from the 0.27 directory to the r525
directory.  In fact, you can even have the two revs share the same raw
data directory, as long as they're using independent rrd directories.
You can accompplish this with a symbolic link.

As for filesystem representation in Orca after you've removed them -- if
they're in the raw data files, they're going to make it to the Orca
graphs if your plot {} stuff says they should.  If you want to filter
them out, you should add regexp's to your plot {} configuration in the
data line, much like this line filters out my Veritas checkpoint
filesystems (whether they're current or old):

    data            mntP_(?!/(?:vxckpt|checkpoints|veritas))(.*)

(didn't I post something about that earlier in this thread?)

Hope this helps,
--Dragon