[Orca-users] Problem running Orca 525: Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Fri Feb 17 13:30:31 PST 2006

> By filtering I mean making custom plots that only show what I want to
> see, i.e just oracle mounts or specific file systems.   Using Davids
> example I now have a plot that is showing me *almost* what I want to
> see, but I am still confused about the Perl regexp. logic.  In
> particular, I want to ignore any file system that starts with .alt or
> has .alt anywhere in the path.  Right now this is the entry I have in
> a custom  "Disk space Percent Usage" plot:
>
> data                    mntP_(?!/(?:oracle|\.*alt.*|BATCH))(.*)
>
> Its ignoring everything except the .alt filesystems, I think the "."
> is throwing things off although I expect the \ to escape it.  But as
> David already pointed out I can't confuse Perl with logic :D
>
> Any ideas what the syntax would be to ignore any file systems with
> ".alt" anywhere in the path? (Some to them are created in /tmp and
> some are at the root)

The problem is that .* has special meaning ("anything"), but \.* has no
special meaning--it equates to 'dot asterisk', and not any sort of
wildcard special matching string.  Thus, the part of your regex that
says \.*alt.* translates to "dot followed by asterisk followed by alt
followed by anything".  Since the literal string ".alt" is not the same
as the literal string ".*alt", your .alts show up.  What you probably
want is \.alt.*, which translates to "dot followed by alt followed by
anything."

If all you want to do is exclude .alt, and include absolutely everything
else, there's no reason to mention oracle or BATCH at all.  Just do this:

mntP_(?!.*\.alt.*)(.*)

If you want only /oracle/whatever and /BATCH/whatever excluding all
.alt, then you probably want this:

mntP_(?:/oracle|BATCH)(?!.*\.alt.*)(.*)

"all mntP_ entries that start with /oracle or /BATCH, except those with
.alt somewhere in the string."

If it were me, I would want /oracle and /BATCH filesystems on one graph,
and all others on another graph, but none of them showing
.alt-anything.  In which case, one plot {} section would have the 2nd
regexp above, and another plot {} would have the 1st regexp above.  I
/think/ that Orca applies data to the first graph that matches, so
there'd be a trickle-down effect, but I'm not positive.  If it didn't,
then you'd need to use this regexp for the 2nd plot:

mntP_(?!.*\.alt.*|/oracle|/BATCH)(.*)

"all mntP_ entries except those that have .alt, or that start with
/oracle or /BATCH."

Cheers,
--Dragon, nemo omnibus horis sapit