[Orca-users] Threads

Hudes, Dana hudesd at hra.nyc.gov
Sun Aug 30 19:15:02 PDT 2009

The current behavior is that we end up with many bunzip2 processes.  One for each bz2 file that needs processing. The result is that on a 16GB v490 with 8 1.8Mhz cores I have about 190 bunzip2s running. More than somewhere around 30-35 monitored hosts and orca server process quits, loggin "out of memory!". That there is 64GB swap untouched doesn't matter. Limits don't apply its running as root

If the orca server host falls behind or is rebooted one gets this flood of bunzip2s running on files previously processed.
This seems counterintuitive for cases where a period of time was fully processed (no back-filling orcallator data).