[Orca-users] Threads

Hudes, Dana hudesd at hra.nyc.gov
Mon Aug 31 11:06:21 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Blair Zajac [mailto:blair at orcaware.com]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:51 PM
To: Hudes, Dana
Cc: orca-users at orcaware.com
Subject: Re: [Orca-users] Threads

Hudes, Dana wrote:

>> Blair Zajac [mailto:blair at orcaware.com] monitored, that would easily
kill a box.

>Right, but the bunzip2 processes block until the main thread reads
them.

Amd they consume system resources sitting there sleeping. Sure, not cpu
resources but process table slots and memory. As to why swap never gets
touched before spawning runs out of memory I don't know.

>I suggest to break the work into two steps, the first is just switching
>ompress::Bzip2 using the main loop to read the files with a second step
is to have a configurable thread pool.  Each of these would be >separate
commits.

I agree completely.