[Orca-users] RE: Performance issue with RSYNC'ing data and Orca 0.26beta1 - I'm a dork

Sean O'Neill sean.oneill at appnet.com
Thu Apr 27 12:22:40 PDT 2000

OK, I'm a dork.  I figured it out.  Orca had nothing to do with this.  It was rsync or, more correctly, me.

The problem was the rsync command I was using to push the data from one of my systems over to the Orca server.  I was using (in a korn shell script):

cd /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/${HOSTNAME}
/usr/local/bin/rsync --delete --recursive . ${RRDSERVER}::${HOSTNAME}-orca

This above rsync command will ALWAYS update the modification timestamp of the orca file on the Orca server.  This causes Orca to re-process these files everytime it loops after its sleep cycle.

The fix is:

cd /usr/local/var/orca/orcallator/${HOSTNAME}
/usr/local/bin/rsync --times --delete --recursive . ${RRDSERVER}::${HOSTNAME}-orca

Note the addition of the --times which.  This preserves the modification time (on the Orca client system) of the files being pushed.  Actually, it enforces it.  If the time stamp is incorrect, it changes it back to what it should be.

My CPU levels are back to what I expect them to be :)

So, rsync works as a very nice method to transfer data as an alternative to NFS.