[Orca-users] Re: rebuild rrd files from percol files

Mark Lin linmark at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:03:15 PST 2000

Blair:

>This should work.  Several questions:
>
>1) Are you using a non-standard Orcallator install or have anything
>configured differently than how the INSTALL instructions describe a
>set up?

Yes, I did standard installation on all the machine except changing the
default directory installation.

>2) Do the percol files have the standard filename format:
>percol-YYYY-MM-DD?

Yes, they all have that format.

>3) At what time do the data gaps appear and how long are they?

This is where the problem is.  Let me try to explain it.  One of the
orcallator client lost the NFS mount directory from the orca server for 12
days.  I realized that later so I remount the NFS from orca server and
copied those percol data files that were collected when it lost NFS back
into the NFS mount directory.  Then I rerun orca hoping that it would create
the rrd data from those missing percol for the past 12 days.  THat didn't
work.  Then I lost control... :) i deleted all the rrd data for all the
clients and run orca again in hoping that it will rebuild everything.  Then
disaster stroke....I lost two days of data for that NFS lost client, and 12
days of data missing for the rest of the clients.  I do have all the percol
data, but for all the other clients, orca only build rrd outside the range
of thd 12 days that single client lost its NFS mount.  Only changes I made
before I delete all the rrd files and after I delete that rrd file of that
particular client was a little modification to the orcallator.cfg, i simply
added an e-mail address in the html output.  Would that change be the cause
of data gap?

>4) Do you have some sample plots?

sorry I dont, we only have internal servers.

>Regards,
>Blair

Regards,
Mark