[Orca-users] Re: Orca-users Digest, Vol 38, Issue 7

Steven McPhillips smcphillips at nla.gov.au
Mon Feb 6 17:47:54 PST 2006

Thanks for the swift response David,

On 07/02/2006, at 7:00 AM, orca-users-request at orcaware.com wrote:

> From: David Michaels <dragon at raytheon.com>
> Date: 7 February 2006 4:27:07 AM
> To: Steven McPhillips <smcphillips at nla.gov.au>
> Cc: orca-users at orcaware.com
> Subject: Re: [Orca-users] working with mixed-column data sources...
>

> Hi, Steve --
>
> Steven McPhillips wrote:
>> I've got what I suppose could be called a normalised file format -
>> instead of having every log entry stored on the same line (as with
>> the orcallator source), my log entries have a recType column, for
>> instance. This column defines what type of data is being stored
>> for that record - could be JVM memory allocation, website user
>> sessions, current active threads etc. All up, my logfile has about
>> 3 of these "type" columns, along with a timestamp and "value" column.
>
> Do all the recType entries share the same timestamp, or is there a
> different timestamp for each line?
>
> If each 'set' of recTypes share the same timestamp for a given
> reading, then massaging the data into Orca format should only
> involve a bit of perl or awk scripting.  They could even be made
> 'live' by making a .. um .. I guess a "steveallator" ;)
>
> However, if each recType has a new timestamp, it gets a bit more
> complicated.  Orca (and, ultimately, RRD?) wants a full set of data
> for each timestamp.  It will complain if some data is missing
> (unless you substitute a default/baseline value for such gaps).  If
> some of your timestamps are 'missing' data, or in other words, if
> your data sampling for one period is scattered across multiple
> timestamps, the converter would have to account for this somehow,
> such as by consolidating data from neighboring timestamps into one
> until a full set is obtained, throwing an exception if the
> timestamp discrepancy gets too big (e.g., greater than the period
> specified).

I don't have a full complement of data per timestamp - the timestamps
aren't shared at the default granularity (to the second)

> In a worst case scenario, you would have to resample the data using
> statistical methods, if you wanted an accurate graph.

I think what I'll do is resample with a 5 minute window timestamp,
which should give me a full set of data for each timestamp, then use
something nifty to provide orca with the latest data in an orca-
friendly format.

> My $0.02.
> --Dragon nemo omnibus horis sapit
>

>> How easy / difficult would it be to use Orca to plot my data?
>> After looking at the orca man page, I get the feeling it might be
>> quite difficult, although perhaps do-able using some judicious
>> regexps for the plot data entries. If someone on the list can give
>> a simple yes/no answer that would be great - I don't mind having
>> to refactor the log format via a pipe for orca to read in if I
>> have to, but naturally I would like to be neater if there is a
>> better way!
>>
>> thanks in advance for any assistance,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> -----